Welcome from the Engineering Career Resource Center!
The Engineering Career Resource Center serves as your career services home, and we provide a variety of services to assist with your career planning efforts.
Michigan Engineers and Computer Scientists are in high demand. Thousands of companies recruit with Michigan Engineering each year, and there are many opportunities to connect with employers through events as well as through our recruitment system, Engineering Careers, by Symplicity.
Please be aware that on-campus recruitment activities begin early in the fall, and many companies actively recruit during the fall semester to fill positions that begin the following summer. The ECRC is here to assist you throughout your career search, and we encourage you to utilize our services and contact us for assistance as needed.
We recognize that as a master’s level student, your time at the university is limited, so we have created the following suggested timeline to help maximize your career search this fall.
- Create/update your resume to prepare for fall recruiting, and be sure to list your U-M master degree program! See our Career Guide for sample resumes along with additional information to help you prepare for your job search.
- Activate your Engineering Careers, by Symplicity, account. Complete your ‘Skills’ profile now under ‘My Account & Skills Profile’, and update this information throughout the year.
- Schedule an appointment with an ECRC Career Advisor to have your resume reviewed, discuss your general job search, or to learn more about ECRC services.
- Start researching careers of interest in Engineering Careers by checking out the job postings, and remember that’s not too early to begin applying to jobs of interest!
- Attend Graduate Orientation to learn more about campus resources available to you, including services provided by the ECRC.
- Attend workshops on topics such as Career Fair and Interview Preparation (more details for fall workshops will be available in August!)
- Attend employer events such as Career Days, Career Engagement Opportunities hosted by student organizations, etc. Check out the CoE Calendar for event dates and more information.
- Attend the SWE/TBP Career Fair on September 14 and 15, 2020, as different companies will participate on each date. There are also several departmental career fairs planned for fall, additional information can be found here.
October – November:
- Conduct a mock interview, either by scheduling an appointment with the ECRC or by using the virtual mock interview tool within Engineering Careers. To access the virtual tool, from the left side menu of your account select ‘Resources’, and then ‘Mock Interviews’.
- Continue searching and applying to positions of interest, utilize Engineering Careers as well as additional job search sites.
- Network with employers during corporate events held throughout the year, see the CoE calendar for event dates and more information.
- Consider attending the National Laboratories Recruitment event held in late fall. This event will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about careers at National Laboratories during a panel session, and also will provide you with the opportunity to network with these organizations individually!
- Schedule a career advising appointment with the ECRC as needed to discuss your job search, negotiating offers, or any topic related to your job search.
The ECRC is here to assist you! Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Note regarding the Winter Recruiting Timeline:
The winter recruiting season begins in mid-January and will continue through March. The Winter Engineering Career Fair will be held at the end of January, along with other employer recruitment events taking place throughout the winter term.