Welcome from the Engineering Career Resource Center!
The Engineering Career Resource Center serves as your career services home, and we provide a variety of services to assist with your career planning efforts.
Michigan Engineers and Computer Scientists are in high demand. Thousands of companies recruit with Michigan Engineering each year, and there are many opportunities to connect with employers right on-campus, as well as virtually through our recruitment system, Engineering Careers, by Symplicity.
Please be aware that on-campus recruitment activities begin early in the fall, and many companies actively recruit during the fall semester to fill positions that begin the following summer. The ECRC is here to assist you throughout your career search, and we encourage you to utilize our services and contact us for assistance as needed.
We recognize that as a master’s level student, your time at the university is limited, so we have created the following suggested timeline to help maximize your career search this fall.
- Create/update your resume to prepare for fall recruiting, and be sure to list your U-M master degree program! See our Career Guide for sample resumes along with additional information to help you prepare for your job search.
- Activate your Engineering Careers, by Symplicity, account. Complete your ‘Skills’ profile now under ‘My Account & Skills Profile’, and update this information throughout the year.
- Schedule an appointment with an ECRC Career Advisor to have your resume reviewed, discuss your general job search, or to learn more about ECRC services.
- Start researching careers of interest in Engineering Careers by checking out the job postings, and remember that’s not too early to begin applying to jobs of interest!
- Attend Graduate Orientation on August 29 to learn more about campus resources available to you, including services provided by the ECRC.
- Attend workshops on topics such as Career Fair and Interview Preparation (more details for fall workshops will be available in August!)
- Participate in one or more of the employer resume critique sessions held in the Duderstadt Connector from September 7-14. This session will provide you with feedback from an industry representative to help you polish your resume in preparation for the career fair!
- Attend employer events on-campus such as Company Days, Information Sessions, etc. Check out the CoE Calendar for event dates and more information (event information will be available in August).
- Attend the SWE/TBP Career Fair on September 17 and 18, as different companies will attend on each date. Also, be sure to attend the Grad and PhD reception held prior to the career fair on Sunday, September 16th from 3-5 PM. Check with your academic department for any major specific career fairs, additional career fair information can be found here.
October – November:
- Conduct a mock interview, either by scheduling an appointment with the ECRC or by using the virtual mock interview tool within Engineering Careers. To access the virtual tool, from the left side menu of your account select ‘Resources’, and then ‘Mock Interviews’.
- Continue searching and applying to positions of interest, utilize Engineering Careers as well as additional job search sites.
- Attend and network with employers during corporate events held on campus, see the CoE calendar for event dates and more information.
- Consider attending the National Laboratories Recruitment event on Thursday, October 25. This event will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about careers at National Laboratories during a panel session, and also will provide you with the opportunity to network with these organizations individually!
- Schedule a career advising appointment with the ECRC as needed to discuss your job search, negotiating offers, or any topic related to your job search.
The ECRC is here to assist you! Please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
Note regarding the Winter Recruiting Timeline:
The winter recruiting season begins January 8 and will continue through March. The Winter Engineering Career Fair will be held January 29 and 30, along with other employer recruitment events taking place throughout the winter term.