Hiring International Students

It is not uncommon for employers to hire international students. Fortunately, it’s not a difficult process for students to gain permission to work within the United States. In fact, most of the international students you may be interested in as candidates are on non-immigrant F-1 and J-1 student visas. This means that they can work under certain conditions.

Here are a few answers to common employer questions about this topic:

Do international students need special work authorization before a company within the United States may hire them?

  • No. Students only need to gain this permission upon actually beginning employment. It is not required of a student to have permission before they are offered a position.

Is the employer required to fill out much paperwork?

  • No. All paperwork is completed by the students, the school, and the INS.

What duration of time may students work within the United States with their visa?

  • Students are able to complete curricular practical training before completing their studies in addition to twelve months of optional practical training before or after graduation or a combination of the two.