Click on a topic to learn more.
Technical Interview Resources
In the engineering world, the technical interview is quite common because it enables employers to assess your technical skills through a demonstration of how you solve problems, reach conclusions, and incorporate novel thinking into your approach.
ECRC Guide to Graduate School Process
If you’re interested in pursuing a graduate degree, the ECRC has created a guide to provide you with an overview of different graduate programs and provide insight into the graduate school application process.
Make the Most of your Summer Break
Develop New Skills
- The University of Michigan offers free online courses via Michigan Online where you can learn new skills
- Consider options to broaden your skill set or enhance your qualifications for your preferred position, employer, and/or industry. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following suggestions. Please note, the resources listed below are provided because of their potential interest to the Michigan Engineering community. Inclusion of a listing does not imply College of Engineering endorsement of the particular external program or opportunity described.
- Technical Skill Focused Opportunities
- Online Learning Opportunities
- Learning Foreign Languages
- Engineering Challenges
- Volunteer Opportunities
Diversify Your Experiences
- Consider job/volunteer opportunities unrelated to engineering that will allow you to build transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, organization, and leadership
- Non-technical jobs and volunteer experiences can show your additional layers as an individual, while also demonstrating responsibility, timeliness, and your ability to contribute to an organization’s goals
Professional Engineer License
If you are planning to work in more traditional engineering industries, perform consulting work, or work for the government, you may want to consider becoming licensed as a Professional Engineer.
Master’s Degree Students
We recognize that as a master’s level student, your time at the university is limited, so we have created a suggested timeline to help maximize your career search this fall.
Tips from Recruiters
View videos for tips on networking with employers, from recruiters who are also U-M CoE Alums!